Monday, April 2, 2018

Big changes at school

I have worked with Special Education students in some way for over 30 years! That sounded really nuts the first time I said it out loud in a meeting this year.

I started showing an interest in my chosen field when I was IN middle school, and now I have spent almost 10 years teaching middle school special education. Even before entering the classroom as a teacher I was working with a similar group in a different setting.

After lots of soul searching and considering how to best move my career forward, I have made a monumental decision. I am leaving the special education classroom behind. At least for a while.

I have decided that I want to teach Social Studies or Language Arts classes on our 6th grade team next year. Because The Oldest and Youngest will both be at the High School next door, I have no interest in leaving my campus. I've been on staff here since 2010. Still, it is time for me to grow into a new role as a teacher.

Last week I was starting to change my mind. Even if my current job is crazy some days, there is comfort in knowing my role. Next year I'll be jumping into the classroom as a new teacher in a new subject. In a lot of ways, it will be like starting over.

I am looking forward to giving up a lot of the detailed paperwork that my current job requires. I won't be fooled into thinking there will be none in my new position, but it will be different paperwork.


No comments:

Post a Comment