Sunday, March 6, 2022

18? Seriously? What the heck?!? Graduate? Seriously? What the heck?!? Redux

The Artist turns 18 in less than a month. Unlike with MaxiMe, I feel prepared and think that I likely can this time.

The Artist and I spend a LOT of time together. Always have, but it seems to be more rare with a late teenager. 

I was a stay-at-home parent for 8 years, from the time MaxiMe was about 12 weeks old, until The Artist started First Grade. During that time we enrolled The Artist in a preschool program that came highly recommended by neighbor moms. I ended up working there, so the youngest and I spent that time together, too. 

When the kids were in Middle School, I taught there. A couple of years ago I spent a year teaching at their High School. The running joke with The Artist trends toward whether or not I will teach at the community college where they have enrolled.

The Artist and I have a very close relationship and I am lucky and a better dad because of it. One of the best ways that I see we are still on the right track with the kids involves their relationship with Galaxy Girl, the bestest Bonus Mom, Other Mother, Main Mama, Step Mom who has stepped into the role. 

MaxiMe is in his Sophomore year, 4 hours away. He hit 20 a couple of months ago and is an incredibly intelligent and compassionate young man. He astounds me daily with his insights though like lots of modern parents, I mainly read these on Twitter


No comments:

Post a Comment